By Director Al Collins
“In 2008, a knife was used against 6% of all victims of a violent crime. Included in this category are other cutting instruments such as broken bottles, screwdrivers or scissors. In comparison, 3% of violent crimes were committed with a club or blunt instrument and 2% with a firearm.
When looking only at the past 10 years, the use of knives to commit homicide has increased, up from 27% in 1999 to 34% in 2008. In 2008, police reported almost 23,500 victims of a violent crime with a knife.” Statistics Canada most recent stats
In the USA, “Knives are consistently used to kill people far more often than assault rifles are used. And the numbers aren’t even close: five times as many murders were committed with knives than were committed with assault rifles last year.” FBI Crime Stats
“Outside of the Americas, knives are often the weapon of choice.” Smithsonian.com
These statistics show us that knives are the weapon of choice for predators and attackers around the world. Especially in countries that have strict gun control laws, like Canada.
What gives a COMBATIVS practitioner the advantage against knife predators?
- Most predators aren’t skilled knife fighters. They use a knife to give them more confidence, to scare you, or their tactics are usually to slash away at you with it. Their poor skills are to your advantage.
- Most people aren’t psychologically prepared to cut or kill with a knife. They initially hesitate if they do. Again, to your advantage.
- Martial arts, including MMA, and self-defense classes, rarely train anyone on how to deal with a knife attack. Those rare few that do, usually train in choreographed “knife defense” or “knife disarm” techniques. Knife defense/knife disarms are training to fail (aka to be killed). This training is actually counter-productive.
- Martial arts, including MMA, and self-defense classes, rarely train anyone on how to use a knife/edged weapon. Not to carry and train with a knife, is preparing to lose.
- Most predators (and martial artists) don’t know where the main arteries and strike points are. Your advantage.
- Martial arts, including MMA, and self-defense classes, don’t train against multiple armed attackers. Huge failure to their client’s survivability.
- YouTube and internet videos are substandard in training people how to use a knife and how to deal with a knife attack. Again, typical focus is on defense and disarm rather than realistic, proven combatives TRP drills.
In COMBATIVS, training in edged weapons is based on combat proven results.
Carrying a knife around doesn’t protect you. Knowing what to do with it does. And what happens if you drop it or the predator takes it away from you? All failures to survive, unless… you’ve prepared yourself against all probabilities in COMBATIVS! Which means also trained in unarmed, unconventional/improvised weapons, firearms, multiple attackers and the essential ingredient that every military Special Operative is trained in, or they know that the rest of their combatives training can fail them in actual combat. Martial arts, MMA and self-defense classes don’t teach this ingredient either.
Why train to fail? Your life and the lives of your loved ones are worth what it takes.
COMBATIVS will train you to have the best chance to survive against knife/edged weapon’s attacks.
Private training is offered at your convenience, at your location in Buffalo, NY, or Burlington, Hamilton, Niagara, Mississauga, Oakville or Toronto Ontario.
See further details on our COMBATIVES page.